1.29.2007

Luke 5:1-11

Luke 5:1-11

Sometimes I wonder how much difficulty there must be before we recognize God's goodness and provision when we see it.

And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.

This is the one where Jesus is speaking from a boat.
He tells Peter to launch out and let down the nets for a catch. Maybe Peter just does it to be polite. Who knows. But the result is enough fish to threaten the safety of their boat.

When Simon Peter saw [it], he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.

I wonder what I would do.
If I made my living at fishing, and suddenly I'm provided with way more than I ever thought possible. What would that even be comparable to?

And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.

I don't know what I would make of this. Fishing is a dangerous business and Jesus has just proven his ability to provide. Do they understand at all? Maybe faced with something that amazing, you have to go. You make the choice that'll change your life and follow the man that upset the way you thought the world worked, in the faith that understanding will follow.

But dude, catching men? Well, if you say so.

And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.

Apparently, they even left the fish.
But, the fish weren't the point anyway.

It was pointed out that Jesus gives the same offer to a rich young ruler later on. He can't take it, and walks away. Is it just because of the volume of THINGS that following Jesus would render irrelevant to him?

What is there to follow that is worth leaving everything?
and how would you recognize it?
What would you do if you saw it?

and if you can answer those questions...
what are you doing now?

No comments: