3.01.2007

Like Butter

(Happy March)

Some of my friends have no sense of smell.

Years ago, one such friend gave me a hand-bound empty book to put things in. I said I'd make it the book of smells. I really haven't written enough on the topic to make a book yet though. But maybe I can start the list again here.

I shall explain.

So he couldn't smell (but he COULD taste, and enjoyed chewing on cinnamon sticks for their spicy qualities). And we're both writers, so I took it as an extension of a writing prompt to try describing smells to him with in other sensory terms such as visual, tactile, or auditory terms (and taste, too. But I'm not sure how to make that an adjective. Tasty is not right.)

These flowers are coming out in full force:



They're one of my favorite forms of plant life here because they smell wonderfully. They smell thick and mellow with a hint of creamy-yellow and violet, like how butter would smell if it tasted as good as felt in your mouth. Mildly sweet butter.

No comments: