3.21.2007

3.21.07

I like today's date.
It's such a peaceful unassuming number.
and
(3*2)+1=0+7



I saw an old friend today.
By 'old friend,' I mean she's been in Ireland for half a year.
I wondered, as I recognized her, whether I was dreaming. Then I wondered if I was in Ireland. These possibilities both seemed more real than her being here.
We couldn't stop and chat or anything like that, and she won't be here for long. So here I am wishing we could've had a little longer when I wouldn't even be thinking of it had we not seen each other for just that moment.

Seeing previously absent friends again always does something interesting for my sense of emotional balance. 'Happy' isn't the right word.
It's like when something too good to be true ends up being true after all.



She picked a good time to come. The cherry blossoms and various other blossoms are brushing the sky like oil paints. If ever shadows could be made of light, this would be it. The fluffy patch of white in Eliot Circle is politely radiant.




One of my dormies was telling me about a Japanese term that recognizes the beauty of transience.















And,
just in case the elusivity of the piano theme music from La Historia Oficial has been bothering anyone else:





2 comments:

Schzamn said...

that's soooo pretty!
i'm overwrought with jealousy!

Churaesie said...

this is a retropost.

This poem frequently came to mind in the few days around this time period if I remember correctly.

***

The Waking

T. Roethke

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me, so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.