2.25.2007

Tree of Life


I went to see this Thesis play Friday night (2.23.07)

Here are some quotes:

** warning! spoilers, kind of! ha ha ha.**

The writer and director (same person) chose these two quotes to include in the program as representative of the heart of the play. They are two attitudes from the two brothers in the play about life and death.

"Many a sleepless night, I sat upright, without moving, waiting for the dawn to give me some comfort... it is incredible how much one can physically endure throughout the years, without losing the joy of life. I didn't deceive myself about my condition, and I considered everyday that I still lived a gift from God." - Wilhelm

"Despite all our love, sorrow, and trouble we can, in so few years, sink into a heap of earth. I would give up everything for peace and let everything drop, and often I think how it is possible not to keep thinking about it and how sinful it is that one is passionately involved with other things." - Jacob


I wrote down the following quotes as I watched (some may be slightly paraphrased):

Once upon a time, all was one. Life was a constant cycle of life and death, light and dark. In the center of the world, which is, of course, Germany, there was a golden tree with roots that crept through the center of the earth and back again. It whispered to them with leaves that chimed in the wind

Trust life, Trust death, Accept

Abandon yourself to a symphony of leaves

The tree became a part of Jacob, dependent on him.

Jacob lost his grandfather, .. and then his trust in life. He began to doubt that golden happy life had anything to do with death. He rejected me (Death has been speaking). He separated me from life.

***

Wilhelm (in the torture chamber): What have you done with Jacob?!
Death: You WON'T let me finish!
Wilhelm: I don't listen to lies. I would be happy with an answer.

(..someone else, to Jacob): Have a little perspective. Not everyone gets a chance to save his brother.

Wilhelm: I used to dread the coming of every day, but now I welcome it. The morning sun shines through the bars of my window and reminds me of the summers we spent together. These [memories keep me going, and even death cannot take them)

Jacob (to Bippy): You're shaking...
Bippy: Sometimes I think its not worth it. ... fighting. ... we fight so much.

The King gives Jacob a jar that will fill with light when his daughter is truly happy: It will light up when Zoey is truly happy. I hope to see her return one day... with a jar full of light.

(Princess Zoey, to Jacob?): It's the hardest thing to go through. You can't always protect the ones you love. ... But you won't save anyone until you've had a good breakfast.

Jacob: For once, I have hope. Not just fear, but hope.

(Death traps Jacob and Wilhelm at the tree, gives him an ax)

Jacob: You have everything! What do you want!
Death: Trust in life. ... Trust that the only thing you can really trust in is me. ... I want you to kill it. Don't you see what it's done to you? It's not death that's been hurting you all this time - it's life, it's hope.

(Those who have died): Remember that you are not alone. Remember pain. Remember joy. Remember that you will join us one day, too. Remember Wilhelm.
Remember light, and it will shine around you like a blanket. Remember darkness, and it will hold you like a cocoon.


(Jacob and Wilhelm remembering);
The only thing on this island was this huge old tree [at the center of a crystal clear lake]. It looked as if it'd seen the creation of the world...
We just climbed up this tree and lay there sprawled in the sunshine

It gets easier.
I used to be so afraid


W: It's incredible how much one can endure, and still bask in the sun.
J: I remember thinking we were immortal that day
W: We were

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think when I go to plays I'm going to start writing stuff down.