2.08.2007

A Day in the Life -

To live through a day
takes a very long time

I have been winding each hour into a ball as the minute hand runs in circles
to set aside
because it makes me feel like something is happening,
that time is still passing,
that eventually
the part of the day will come when I can go to sleep.

But the thing with sleeping is,
eventually, you have to wake up.

Which has been easier, but still
each day I wake up to a very long day.
And each day,
it's over again.

Emily didn't even bother winding time into balls until it was at least a month in length.

2 comments:

Churaesie said...

In a matter of hours, it will be three years since Upon Waking appeared in my notebook.

I shouldn't be layering the years like this, especially not in February. I made the mistake of wondering if I could post something from a 'this day in history' from my notebooks. I will stop now.

Churaesie said...

Emily Dickinson

If you were coming in the Fall

If you were coming in the Fall,
I'd brush the Summer by
With half a smile, and half a spurn,
As Housewives do, a Fly.

If I could see you in a year,
I'd wind the months in balls-
And put them each in separate Drawers,
For fear the numbers fuse-

If only Centuries, delayed,
I'd count them on my Hand,
Subtracting, till my fingers dropped
Into Van Dieman's Land.

If certain, when this life was out-
That yours and mine, should be
I'd toss it yonder, like a Rind,
And take Eternity-

But, now, uncertain of the length
Of this, that is between,
It goads me, like the Goblin Bee-
That will not state-its sting.