2.12.2007

Stay Hungry

This phrase was given to me in an unexpected, though highly appropriate manner. It came about as a result of creating a mailing list based around the Student CoOp for subscribers to give and take of their collective variety of expertise.

That phrase recalled a haunting, almost nostalgic feeling. It was one I greatly appreciated, but I could not remember how it had come to me. I remembered the paragraph, but not where I'd read it.

Hooray, Google:

Steve Jobs' Commencement Address to Stanford University






Also,



Today I was thinking of myself
not so much as a river
but as a pool of wax
seeping into the world, taking on the impressions of what I find to be reality

praying for the life, the flame inside me, to keep me warm and soft

and to never solidify or
become rigid and
unable to feel my way amid the shapes of this world.

Though it is only as the wax is consumed
that a candle gives its light

2 comments:

Churaesie said...

Tonight, we read from 1 Kings 19 (NIV):

The LORD Appears to Elijah
And the word of the LORD came to him: "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

10 He replied, "I have been very zealous for the LORD God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, broken down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too."

11 The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by."
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

14 He replied, "I have been very zealous for the LORD God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, broken down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too."

15 The LORD said to him, "Go back the way you came, and go to the Desert of Damascus. When you get there, anoint Hazael king over Aram. 16 Also, anoint Jehu son of Nimshi king over Israel, and anoint Elisha son of Shaphat from Abel Meholah to succeed you as prophet. 17 Jehu will put to death any who escape the sword of Hazael, and Elisha will put to death any who escape the sword of Jehu. 18 Yet I reserve seven thousand in Israel—all whose knees have not bowed down to Baal and all whose mouths have not kissed him."

Churaesie said...

I notice the phrases "I alone and left and they are seeking my life to take it away" and "Anoint Elisha... as prophet in your place"

God's plan does not die out with his people.

Lord, thankyou for your visions for the world
& that those dreams do not die with us.

and, echoing brother Seth (who just finished reading a section of Ecclesiastes to us), Thankyou for not being in the wind.