2.07.2007

St. Lawrence Quartet & Caucasian Student Union

My notes from the second half of the St. Lawrence Quartet performance

2/7/07

I've never seen this quartet before,
but I feel like I'm meeting old friends.
Ah yes, the violin[ist] can hardly confine himself to his chair
[how like him]


This must be why my [high school] band teacher
wouldn't let me play violin for marching band

even if that man were a grasshopper, he could
not be any more vibrant than when
he is channelling the violin

If I were an unbiased anthropologist,
I would say it is the instruments
which are controlling the people

they often bluster around like
leaves in a mini cyclone & kick
their feet at the same time
(thus the necessity of chairs)

Instruments are good to funnel energy into
otherwise, I think some people
would explode in a spattery pop

...they are channelling the dreams and aspirations
of the man who composed this

That doesn't sound like the piano
it sounds like water droplets falling
in quick succession from stalactites
into a cool blue reflective pool



It was a good concert, but I'm still sad about not seeing Ravel's quartet from the beginning....
Good music and good food are two things which it might be best for me to experience alone since both seem to effectively reduce me to an unsocialized wriggly mass.

and then there's this.





Oh, Abe.
You're one of my favorite people tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tracy, this makes me really sad.