2.16.2010

girl. (keep moving)

As a girl in math/computing, I am generally surrounded by guys - and ones who seem to readily accept me and my abilities, at that.

Gender imbalances have historically not bothered me personally, as I tend to feel more socially at home among guys anyway. But, in the last few years, I think I have learned to look down on myself, even though I suspect that actually, my fellow nerdy gentlemen readily view me as an academic peer.

Even though I feel aware of this, it is sometimes difficult to overcome,
and to remember that we all have various insecurities regardless of gender.

I can work to improve my own abilities, self-conduct, and my own opinion of my character, independent of my biological disposition.
I just have to avoid feeling discouraged enough to stop moving forward.

1 comment:

Schzamn said...

I find it easy to view people as their own distinct character in a really really realistic MMORPG. They are just a sum of their experience, leveling, trait trees, and equipped gear. Even the smallest awkward dwarf can shoot death lasers from their mouths. Forgetting this generally means you lose an encounter.