4.18.2007

Stories from a Sudanese Refugee School in Cairo

They were displaced from Sudan to Cairo,
Their stories have been carried from Cairo to America,

and I have been a terrible messenger thus far, but it's going to happen.
Getting A Long Walk Home in has been really helpful for seeing concretely what can happen, I think.

I got the ball rolling today, so now I have no more delays or excuses.



4/24 -Movie- A Long Walk Home
5/2 -Talk- Stories from a Sudanese Refugee school in Cairo -Tracy Mehoke
5/4 -Movie- One more showing of 'A Long Walk Home'

*********
As some of you know,
I volunteered at a school for Sudanese Refugees in a slum in Cairo last
summer. It's taken me waaay too long, but I'm finally putting together
an open-campus Show-and-Tell from Cairo.


I will share my story of 6 weeks as an American volunteer in Cairo as
well as the stories of my teachers who were there as Sudanese refugees
in Cairo. Some background information on the conflict in Sudan will be
explained. Ethan Rafal (http://ethanrafal.com/), a Reed graduate who
has actually been to Sudan, will make a guest appearance, /Inshallah/.

The 2 parts are

*#*
A screening of the Documentary (about 45 minutes long) about the
displaced Sudanese in Cairo 'A Long Walk Home'
http://www.alongwalkhomefilm.org/
A Long Walk Home was shot in Cairo, partially at the school I worked at,
during the summer before I got there (2005). Some of my teachers were
among those interviewed.

*#*
My presentation of my own story and the stories of those who cannot be
here to tell you

please set aside some calendar time now for at least one of these events:


1) NEXT TUESDAY, April 24th 7:30pm Psych 105

A showing of A Long Walk Home (I will be available for questions Afterward)


2) READING WEEK WEDNESDAY, May 2nd 7:30pm Psych 105

My talk (and pictures!) about the stories I brought back with me.
My stories come from the same places and people as were filmed in A Long
Walk Home,
Definitely Questions/Discussion afterward. Hopefully, food.


3) READING WEEK FRIDAY, May 4th 4:30PM Psych 105

One more showing of A Long Walk Home in case you missed it the first
time. Questions/Discussion time afterward.


I will have more official advertising out soon. In the meantime, feel
free to talk gregariously about this especially among people who don't
know anything about it yet.

***

1 comment:

Churaesie said...

and I like this song which I found here.