4.16.2007

I intend

From reading for Intro to Islam a little over a week ago
(Ironically, I considered intending to post it earlier):

"You know, I don't believe in vows. If God knows something should be done, why does he need to be persuaded by the gifts of a poor woman like my mother? My father always quotes the proverb, Even if I vowed to redeem my life with alms, if need be, my son and I will eat the alms first. I agree with him."

"Vows like obligatory prayers or contracts are valid only if formed intentionally, and, like contracts, if formed with intention, they must be fulfilled," said Ali in a formal tone as if he were quoting a text he had learned by heart. "Look, if we learn to say 'I intend' before we do a good deed, our hearts get used to doing good deeds. As Muslims we must believe that God cares for the intention, not for what we actually get to do. What if, for some reason, God lets us die before we do anything? As Muslims we believe we should bear witness before God that we intend to do something before we do it."

Roy Mottahedeh
The Mantle of the Prophet p. 48
1st published 1985

No comments: