10.29.2009

learning

This week, I've been trying to remember that other people are often not so critical.

A good friend told me (about another subject yes, but I think it applies) that since a task I'd set upon was so difficult to accomplish, then there must be something amiss about the expectations. Either my expectation of what I should be able to do was unreasonable, or my expectation of the amount of time I would need was unreasonable and I needed to spend more time working on it.

I have recently been trying to remember that other peoples' expectations of me are not necessarily my own. This means that if I am disappointed with myself or my actions, then other people are not necessarily disapproving or thinking less of me.

I am trying to remember that if I am dissatisfied with myself, I should also credit myself with that opinion and not project it onto others.

No comments: