10.20.2009

Disparity ( and goals)

I've had some conversations stretching over the months about setting goals in life.

The people I've talked to have set strong courses for themselves, deciding what they want and aiming their careers and efforts towards a future that will bring them money. With money, they can acquire what they want - be it things or activities or lifestyles - to sustain and thrive.

I wasn't so sure. I think I want more a particular means of living.

They would remind me that also, if you want to do some good in the world, it helps to have money. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for example. Look at how much good the Gates (and others with enough wealth) can do because they have money.

But, I've thought of this before. And what troubles me is -How did they get that much money in the first place? While so much of the rest of the world is so poor?

I suspect that if I made a lot of money like that and then contributed it to charity, that I would still not be able to make up for the series of injustices that allowed me to collect such a share of disparity.

I am not against the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. I'm not against people who work to establish a healthy life for themselves. The System exists as it is, and we must work within it.

But, I think I believe that I want a future where such foundations do not exist, because I think in that world, they will also not be needed.


My goals?
The best description I have so far is that I am trying to follow a tributary. I don't know where it's going, but I can feel the current and I want to find the river where these things come together.

3 comments:

Kelvin said...

In my experience, I've found that the most generous are the ones that have the least. The trap of money is the trap of having "enough". And how much is enough? Just a little bit more.

Churaesie said...

I've observed this too, thanks for the reminder!

I think that a system that expects the best provision for the poor to come from those who first become very wealthy is a system that will perpetuate its own imbalances, and never solve the problem that it claims to treat.

Secret-Lotus-Blossoming-In-The-Night said...

There is still a line between generosity and impact.

Sometimes generosity without the means to uphold it can be more damaging than helpful.