9.04.2009

girl friends

Although I tend to think that I generally get along better with guys than with girls, I have recently been impressed that first, a considerable proportion of my closer friends are girls and second, the number of us which have suffered intense and extreme hardship of spirit in the last few years and are now successfully rebuilding.

I am impressed by the relative similarity and simultaneity of our various ordeals, since this has enabled us to help and support each other, and to share what we are learning.

I am impressed by the substance, character, and strength of these women close to me - who have variously withstood and broken under intense pressures -
because they dared to love and to love deeply.

I am impressed by their struggle first to endure, then to salvage, then to build and grow again, because they desired to live and to live vividly.

I am grateful, honored, and fortunate to know these women even in our darknesses, to rebuild myself in this company of students-of-living, and to share with them this wealth of experience, strength, and perhaps even wisdom.


We are already a little old for our age(s). But we are all so alive,
and we will live until we die.



Thank you, friends

2 comments:

Churaesie said...

Singer/Songwriter Danny Schmidt's "Company of Friends". I believe, too.

Secret-Lotus-Blossoming-In-The-Night said...

"and we will live until we die."

We'd better.