9.30.2006

3DPlot[Water]

I went rafting with my PE Class today. It was a beautiful clear day, the water was cold, and we saw salmon nosing their way upstream. But, what I want to describe briefly is the way that I couldn't help but see the shapes of the water as a 3D Plot of wave equations. In the Matrix, I think there's a scene where Cipher? is reading off of the monitor which has the classic green characters cascading down it. He says he doesn't see the characters anymore, but rather the 'people' they represent. I felt like I was seeing the opposite.

On the river, I sometimes felt that I was not looking at water, but rather at a 3D display of position-valued images of the wave function. The river has it's own harmonics, and each feature has characteristic frequencies which it allows or eliminates as the water follows along, obeying laws of enegry described by physics. It was beautiful.

And later today, I was making bread and found that the rim of the shiny metal bowl was reflecting a ring of light into my batter, which, when properly angled, became a cardioid. I was so excited. One of my friends tried to steal my joy by arguing that, physically, it wasn't an actual cardioid, and the 'mapping' taking it the light from the rim of the bowl to the cardioid shape was not the polar mapping. It wasn't exact enough for him. He argued that it was like claiming to represent everything with a polynomial by Taylor expansion, and I shouldn't be so excited about something that was, at best an approximation.

I told him that what he said was true, but I argued that if he found a Taylor polynomial expansion in his bowl, he'd be excited too.

I think the following line is necessary here:
I heart cardioids... <3

No comments: