9.17.2006

Simmering Stage Fright

I find it interesting that last night it was difficult to resist telling people that I'd started a blog.

I'm trying to keep a lid on it in what my writing teacher referred to as 'simmering.' You don't tell people about the ideas you have before you write them down because there's something vital that gets lost in the initial telling. In order to get the full flavor rather than a list of main topics, it's generally a good idea to keep things in your head (in what my math teacher would refer to as 'mulling it over'), close your mouth (obviously, to keep the pressure up), and force the ideas to channel out through a pen or keyboard. I'm sure Bernoulli's got an explanation for this kind of thing. This keeps the ideas from deflating into their relatively bland shells and blowing off like tumbleweed.

The thing that made my first sentence interesting is the fact that this morning, I felt totally intimidated by my potential blog audience. And I don't even have one yet.

I think this is good motivation to be as clear, precise, and true to my own honest ideas as possible, since both friends and strangers .. and my older, more experienced, - hopefully - wiser self might be able to look back on this in the future (I refuse to delete things - I reserve the right to modify, but I will not delete).
I hope that I don't look back on any of these posts and think they're 'cute'.

My future self is a tough crowd.
So are the future projections of friends that I will inevitably refer to in the course of this blog.

This better be good.

No comments: