9.25.2006

oh - too slow.

I wanted to write this post about originality and the frustration of thinking you invented some item or concept only to see that someone else has not only already thought of it, but enacted it.

But someone else has already both thought of this subject, and ... posted it:

Ironically, the date on this post is the date I saved a rough outline draft to remind myself what I wanted to post about. The actual date is currently 12.06.06 at 1:55am, and is in partial response to [link removed for now] on quite the character's blog. Furtherly ironic, quite the character started his blog after me, partially on my suggestion and is now posting things that I wanted to post about things that I found.
(It's ok. It's just the rust on the irony)

I'm talking about xkcd.
I've been wanting to make a comic. Almost started. There's a lot of things I've wanted to do that I've almost done. But not quite. There's some momentum to overcome there, and in the meantime, someone else is doing what I wanted to do. xkcd is so wonderfully hilarious and yet so painful because aaahhh ... I could be doing that. But I am not. And he's doing it first. And... he's doing it really well. So I guess it's ok...

And then I tell quite the character about xkcd and that he should start a blog for his drawings. And quite the character goes and makes a post that says essentially what I wanted to say about xkcd, before I do. Even though the date on this post clearly indicates that I started a draft on this subject before he even had a blog.

I guess that's what you get for sitting on an idea for too long.
There's too much in the world. Too much to do, too much to learn, too much to see. Ideas should not be indoor pets.

Ah, and as long as I'm talking about ideas,
I should've posted this a few hours earlier, and then I could say something like Remember, remember, the 5th of December in parody of how I missed saying that on the 5th of November (V for Vendetta reference).
But - hah - not only have I missed Nov 5th, but also now, Dec 5th.

So many things to think, and
even when I have the thoughts, it's

Always

just a little too slow.

1 comment:

Schzamn said...

wow.. now we both posted about being a little angry at xkcd for being good.. we must be related