2.19.2008

Sx - check the engine

I listened to a professor from the National College of Natural Medicine speaking about Traditional Chinese Medicine tonight.

He reminded me:

Don't suppress symptoms.
They are there for a reason.


I know this for handling myself physically.


The analogy they always use is the 'check engine' light.

Let's say you're driving your car along and the 'check engine' light comes on. You know that it shouldn't be on. If you can see it, something is wrong. You know it's not good to drive your car while you can see it. What do you do?
Of course, you find a thick piece of tape and cover the check engine light, right?

No.
that won't make the problem go away.

Consider the engine being in some condition and the light being a symptom of that condition. Finding a system that dismisses the symptoms is just asking for worse trouble later on.

I know this for handling myself physically.

I avoid taking pain or cold medication unless I really need it to function. I want my body to be able to tell me what's going on truthfully and uninhibited by chemicals.

I have not been applying this mentally or psychologically.

For all the times that Jesus scolded the pharisees for their concern over shows of righteousness, I guess medical analogies are easier for my mind to digest than references to the inside and outside of ritual cups.


I thought I could control and direct my internal order by manipulating, encouraging, or cloaking the manifestations according to how I thought they should appear. I thought this was being 'responsible'. Don't be confused. It's deception.
This process will only leave you scrambled, with unreliable indication, and unable to trust yourself.

I have to be willing to feel, and to feel the whole spectrum, including the edges.

1 comment:

Churaesie said...

From The Alchemist


"Why should I listen to my heart?"

"Because you will never again be able to keep it quiet.

You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it's better to listen to what it has to say. That way, you'll never have to fear an unanticipated blow."