7.15.2007

All Together Now

Two of my friends were married today.

To each other.

It doesn't feel weird. - People my age (and younger) getting married.

I think because it felt like just another way that we could be there for each other as two of us moved through a particular stage of life.

I'm glad I got to come back home for this.

I was prepared to train-hop, carpool, or hitchhike home for this, but fortunately things worked out such that I could just fly.
No way I would've missed it.

His parents adopted me when I befriended his brother in high school. They were all brothers in some sense - some biologically related. With the exception of her brother, the groomsmen were also guys I knew from high school. They made the whole groomsmen thing look like a developing inside joke. We are a dependable, though scattering, friend group. And now he's getting married, so - although not all of us could be there - it seems natural that we would come back together and contribute to his wedding ceremony by providing groomsmen, two (count 'em) two best men, and music. The wedding was held at home in his mother's garden. It was a beautiful day.

I actually don't really know her all that well, but she's certainly a mature, capable, responsible (not to mention beautiful...) young lady for whom I have tremendous respect.

Inevitably, we shall enjoy this time together and will then disperse to the lives we are finding separately. But, it seems that inevitably, some event will prompt our mutual support, and we shall condense again.









No comments: