12.29.2006

FIT 1 - Found in Translation - The Japanese Lesson

This is the first cartoon I've taken the time to actually draw out.
I have been provoked to be more active about drawing cartoons by the absurdity of many of the situations I find myself in, my desire to actually do things with art and writing, as well as the last straw, the quiet rage that xkcd is so good at taking ideas that I thought were mine.

I must learn to actually draw people so that I can move beyond stick figures. I thought of using animals - I can draw them better - but for the stupidity of this cartoon, it had to be people.


This one is for my family (no offense -),
since pretty much all I had to do was write it down.

so, based on a true story,
the first of what I hope will be more cartoons:

The Japanese Lesson

(You'll probably have to click on the image in order to be able to read it)


notes:
Possible changes:

1)I think it was actually wakuwaku, not niconico which provoked the comments that created this cartoon (Wakuwaku means 'excited'). Perhaps I should fix that.

2) I should probably scan these or something instead of taking pictures of them. I have yet to attain that level of technology. I should also make them so that you can read them on the post.

1 comment:

Churaesie said...

The text:


And
niconico means 'smile'

Cool. What about
wahuwahu?

...What?

You know, the song that the Whos sing in
The Grinch...wahu, wahu...
What does it mean?

It... It doesn't mean anything. It's Dr. Seuss... It's nonsense.

Oh! oh right! Japanese isn't a tonal language...
Well... then what does it mean in Chinese?

WHAT? I don't even know Chinese, but I'm sure that even if-

Ok! Ok! Well..How about chi-mee-chan-ga?

Say again?

Chimichanga

But.. That's not even asian....a chimichanga is an increasingly americanized Mexican fo-

-Oh, oh really? Well then...

What does this mean?
ta-qui-to
?