11.11.2006

Thomas, Doubting

I posted about things from 10/22/06 on 11/22/06 - it seemed appropriate since it was exactly one month later. However, I was also planning to post something from 8/22/06 and made a draft on 11/11/06, but I forgot about it. I don't think I want to make this post wait for 12/22/06 so I can forget about it again. So I'll post it now. Today's date is 11/25/06, but it seemed most chronologically accurate to leave the post at the original date of its drafting, as I have not written any more text (except this) since.


8/22

I have been sitting on a bench in the Rhody gardens next to a glass bottle casting a lovely amber shadow.

I was thinking about Thomas and how perhaps he was a character devoted to his Lord, but to an incorrect, incomplete understanding of his Lord.

So devoted was he
that he refused to believe anything else
until it could be proved that the One they spoke of
who they claimed had risen
actually was his Master.
However unbelievable a resurrection,
Thomas knew that only his Master would have wounds.

It's a Loyalty that refuses to believe a better scenario
unless it can be proven true.

I was thinking of this because Nickel Creek's Doubting Thomas song has been in my head a lot. I hear it.

***

I took an acorn from the gardens
And prayed for truth
oh, me of little faith

1 comment:

Churaesie said...

What will be left when I've drawn my last breath,
besides the folks I've met and folks who know me?
Will I discover a soul-saving love
or just the dirt above and below me?

I'm a Doubting Thomas -
I took a promise,
but I do not feel safe.
Oh, me of little faith.

Sometimes I pray for a slap in the face,
then I beg to be spared, 'cause I'm a coward.
If there's a master of death, I bet he's holding his breath,
as I show the blind and tell the deaf about his power.

I'm a Doubting Thomas -
I can't keep my promises,
'cause I don't know what's safe.
Oh, me of little faith.

Can I be used to help others find truth
when I'm scared I'll find proof that it's a lie?
Can I be lead down a trail dropping bread crumbs,
to prove I'm not ready to die?

Please give me time to decipher the signs,
Please forgive me for time that I've wasted...

I'm a Doubting Thomas -
I'll take your promise,
though I know nothin's safe.
Oh me of little faith.


Doubting Thomas
by Nickel Creek