12.15.2017

Confessing Regrets

I've done many things wrong in my life,
things I sometimes wish that I could change,
but few things that I regret.



Each to different people,
different times,
different places:

(1)

Your voice and your eyes asked if I'd stay for another drink and more conversation, but I felt compelled to keep a promise to myself to start the next morning early. I thought I did the right thing, so why did I feel only regret?

You accepted my decision,
but I never have.

In my thoughts, I go back and say, Yes, of course
of course.

(2)

On early morning of the first and last night that we kissed, we were both standing there, but I'd already moved on into the next day.
I should have kissed you back.

(3)

You held me in your arms in our pile of nightfall covers,
and I heard your voice, saying with a touch of wonder,
"What did I do to deserve this?"

You weren't asking me.

Fool that I am,
prodded by memories of times I should have spoken up,
I tried to answer.

I wish I'd let the silence hold us.






No comments: