7.09.2010

maintenance

A thought that's been rattling around in my head for at least a year now -

That in a similar manner as all it takes to damage a machine is to use it without proper maintenance,


all it takes to be a jerk is to operate without due consideration or compassion for others. (edit [26 Jul 2010]: I think the following is closer to my original language)


all it takes is to become a jerk is to stop being actively considerate of other people.



It sounds surprisingly and somewhat frighteningly easy, because all it takes is becoming careless and being ok with that.

Be attentive. Your fellow people are worth it.

1 comment:

CMT said...

What is it about jerks? Why do women fall for these bastards? Once someone does something stupid, discounts you or does anything that causes you any strife why the hell do you stay stuck on them and let them get in your way? What have they done to disserve you or the time you spend thinking about them?
It seems like the worse these guys treat women, the harder they get stuck on them. And being a jerk means he doesn’t care. They give you just enough sweetness to give you that warm and fuzzy, but you have to put up with a pound of crap for every ounce of sugar.
I’ve seen this so many times. I’ve worked with so many of them, I actually envy them. It must be nice to not care and have women stuck on you. I’ve lost out to jerks so many times I actually tried to be one. But I can’t. I can no easier be a jerk than a jerk can be attentive.
Please, for my effing sake. Take the time to get to know guys before you let them in. Make them PROVE to you that they are worthy of you, your time and your energy. Hold them to a standard of adding much, much, more to your happiness than taking from it. And most importantly, care enough about yourself that you will not let ANYONE mistreat you.

Trace