4.01.2010

memo from the future

(written 01 Apr 2010, blog-drafted 21 May 2010, posted 25 May 2010)




I've just returned from the future.

I traveled from the past.

And as I made my journey home I thought it seemed easier to move through space than through time. The gates of time are beginnings and endings, and at times, the portals are forceful.

In the future they decide what happens - they decide how things will go and here in the prior hours, the world lurches to catch up. As I made my preparations, talking on the phone, transcending hours between my coast and his, I felt at a loss. Whatever he said, in his three-hours-ahead, seemed possible. I only wondered what my world would have to do in those three hours to catch the place where his had stood.

I followed the eastern horizon around the rotating earth.

In the future there is certainty, and I ask him over the phone to tell me what lies ahead for me and the others in my time. Our voices move simultaneously across the time and space.

I travelled over time zones from my own time to his.
When one day he saw my writing,
when he saw what I'd recorded of my thoughts and of his words, he said he'd better watch it.

Better watch what he said,
and it occurred to me that people who live in the future

do not think about how their lives might be recorded.

Perhaps that is what frees them.

No comments: