4.26.2010

fear worth fearing

A friend of mine wrote about the mist. It is the mist that gets inside you and blinds you, so that you cannot even see yourself, let alone the way out of the mist. You might not even see the mist.

I wrote a response to her post:



Wow, this makes so much sense.

Just last night, I was talking with a friend, jokingly about how we should make normal-colored glasses to make things appear normal. (In the way that there are rose-colored glasses to make things appear.. rosy). I suggested making terrible-colored glasses out of the joke that glasses which made things 'dark' would probably be black.. and therefore... (punchline:) already exist as sunglasses.

But then we started thinking of actually what color 'terrible' might be (so as to make other things 'terrible-colored). And before I really knew what I was saying, I said it would glasses that were smudged or foggy, but you wouldn't be allowed to take them off.

I was surprised to find that I had actually begun to frighten myself with the thought because I knew what I was reminding myself of.

Reading this, it makes perfect sense why.
(Have you watched Hedgehog in the Fog yet?)


This is why we will have awesome lives.
We are afraid of something worth being afraid of, and we know to avoid it at all costs, because any cost is worth avoiding it. And I think it is easier to see fog from a distance than from within.

Thanks for posting this.

April 18, 2010 12:19 PM

No comments: