8.30.2009

Proceed

There was a backpacking trip that I went on once during which we trudged through several days of cold, wet, and wind.

While we hiked, I walked forward to the evening when we would stop and drink warmed water. When we stopped, I stepped through the tasks of pitching camp, preparing food, and other useful manners of stalling myself until the darkened evening when we would retire and I would shed my weathered clothes for the drier shell of a sleeping bag and a more comfortable subconsciousness. As the evening progressed, I awaited the dawn through closed eyelids, since then I could remove myself from a stale and stiffened sleep and proceed again through another day, to another night. Each stage less-than-ideal, anticipation of change the only relief.

Sometimes there is no situation I would choose to have, but to continue proceeding from one to the next. I remind myself that the only solution I know is to endure, to proceed, to keep moving forward in consideration that the things at hand are temporary, and anticipation of something both better and distant.
前途是光明的 道路是曲折的.

On the last day of our hike, the wind and rain departed and we slept beneath a tent of stars.

1 comment:

Churaesie said...

I should add (in addition to moving forward) trying to make the best of each stage for the duration, regardless of how unappealing it advertises itself as. Because, eventually it too shall pass.