3.21.2008

to accurately reflect

These days always seem to be heavy with other events.

It so happens that today is also Good Friday
and has the descending integer date 3.21
Also, Vernal Equinox

a year ago today


It occurs to me that perhaps I should not push a summary posting tonight, since unsettled waters aren't so good for reflection, and I haven't given myself the leisure to let myself settle and wade slowly through past stories/posts. But, what's attempted discipline without a little pushing?
Cultivation is a chronic practice"

At the time of this posting, a huge proportion of recent posts are still in draft mode - titles or ideas jotted down where I hope to go back and fill in.

some of this material comes from those yet-absent posts.




The title comes partly from a line ...I think I found in a thesis in NCNM's library. It was written on the topic of depression from a classical Chinese medicine approach. One of the interpretations of depression I remember as the inability of the heart to accurately reflect external reality.

At that same school, a posted quote:

...For this is wrong, if anything is wrong: not to enlarge the freedom of a love with all the inner freedom one can summon. We need, in love, to practice only this: letting each other go. For holding on comes easily; we do not need to learn it....

But I take some issue from this since it sometimes seems that the art of losing just takes a little practice while the art of holding on may be difficult to realize. But, perhaps the art of losing and the art of holding are not so different in their pure and mastered forms. I imagine they meet on some level like holding a small bird freely in your hand.

other things...

love, growth, change, death

I must remember that I have a person to be

If any of you sees an evil, let him change it by his hand, and if he is unable to do that, then let him change it by his words, and if he is still unable to do that, then let him denounce it in his heart, but this is the weakest form of belief.

And yet, I think it's only belief once its worked its way into the heart, the overflow of which brings words and actions consistent with their source.

And, the heart must be carefully allowed to reflect internal reality as well,

and is a good indicator, but can also be guided.

Sometimes the best way to help things is to just not interfere too much. A relax of focus can bring into view all of the flowers coming up all over.
Serene Open Awareness
The Perennial Pedagogy
Sunlight under dark soil comes up dandelions
'Flower' can be a verb.... Flower!

-Lloyd J Reynolds


And I feel like I ought to say something for Good Friday,
but I'm afraid I'm rather empty on the subject.





***

This has been another installment in the continuing but oft-forgotten project of letting my heart reflect both internal and external realities, ... and hopefully this makes them the same.

No comments: